Author Topic: Husband with AN is confused  (Read 3628 times)

jcm

Husband with AN is confused
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:08 am »
Hello friends,

My husband just received the AN diagnosis.  The shock is over and we are researching options.
Confused why should he consider surgery over radio surgery? AN is 1 to 1.5 cm.

He is 46 and has lost a great deal of hearing in left ear.  This seemed to happen rapidly.  Over the
last 3 weeks.  One Dr. claims he is young and should operate since preserving the hearing is not
a concern anymore.  The other Dr. said Watch and Wait. 

This is quite confusing and stressful.  Why are hearing aids not an option?  We were told the AN
is on the balance nerve (8th cranial nerve).  Is this the cochlear nerve? 

While I realize it is up to the individual to make the choice which option to choose however, it is
scary and confusing to say the least.  We are located in NY.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.   Please shed some light for us.

Thanks,
JCM's wife

lori67

Re: Husband with AN is confused
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:15 am »
Hi and welcome Mrs. JCM. 

You must be really overwhelmed since you said this all happened within the past few weeks.  That's a lot to deal with all at once.  I don't know any doctors in NY, but I know there are lots of people on this forum who know some in NY and the surrounding areas.  It sounds like you are getting conflicting opinions at this point, which I'm sure only makes things harder.  I'd say if it's an option, keep getting opinions until you get the one that sounds the best for you and your husband.  Sometimes you get a doctor who is set in his ways and only wants to treat things one way, but there are different options out there, so you have to investigate which one you are most comfortable with.  Like a lot of us here, at a point, you just find the doctor that seems to "fit" and you just know you're doing the right thing.

The 8th cranial nerve is the Vestibulocochlear nerve.  It controls balance and hearing.  It's kinda 2 nerves for the price of one, I guess.  In my case, the AN was more on the balance - or vestibular - portion of the nerve and I had lost some balance function over the years before diagnosis.  Since it didn't touch the hearing portion, I had perfectly normal hearing before my surgery.  I guess most people do it the other way around - lose their hearing first - but I like to be different!   ;)

Hearing aids might be an option if your husband still has some hearing left at this point, but there may come a day that an aid is not effective in that ear anymore.  If he has surgery and loses hearing after that, there are different kinds of aids available.  But,there are also surgeries that can try to keep what hearing he does have.  I know it's a lot to think about.

I had to have hearing and balance tests before my surgery.  I don't know if your husband has had these (an ABR and ENG), but this would give the doctor a better idea of how much function that nerve still has and what course of action is best.  And they aren't painful tests, which is always nice to know.

There is also a "Hearing Issues" area on this forum that might answer some of your questions too.

I hope you find the answers to your questions and decide on a plan.  Keep us posted and good luck to both of you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jcm

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:55:02 am »
Hi Lori,

Thank you for responding.  You basically summed it all up in your response.  Your were
fortunate not to have the hearing loss. 

Can I ask how and why you chose surgery?
I think the conflict with opinions happened b/c the Dr. yesterday gave him a thorough hearing test.
Don't know if the test is called  what you mentioned.  The Dr. said he was pretty much deaf.  Amazing something
so small could cause so much damage.  The other surgeon reviewed the hearing report we brought him and felt
he could watch and wait. 

I guess the answer is, if the cochlear nerve is dead, there would be no way for a hearing aid to work.

Oh well, I guess we will become very educated along the journey to his decision.

Thanks  ;)

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »
Hi Mrs. JCM,
My experience was similar to your husband's in that I had 'sudden hearing loss' prior to being diagnosed with my AN.  My loss was pretty profound and actually happened overnight, but then began to improve over the next several days and weeks.  I don't want to offer false hope, but if your husband's hearing loss was recent it may still be possible that there could be some partial recovery.  Some doctors think steroids will help with this, but I think they need to be started as soon as possible after the hearing loss occurs.  Anyway, you'd probably want to make sure things are stabilized with the hearing loss before looking into a hearing aid.

I would say the choice as to whether to attempt to preserve hearing is up to your husband, not the doctor.  Some patients on this forum would argue that any hearing is worth trying to preserve and others feel that it's a nuisance, so that's an individual choice.  As far as being too young for radiation/radiosurgery, the thinking on that seems to be changing.  I think the primary concern was that the radiation may induce a malignant degeneration in the tumor, but the data doesn't indicate that is happening.

In my own case, I decided to go with Cyberknife radiosurgery at age 42.  My tumor was about 2 cm and I had 55% hearing (speech discrimination) at the time of treatment in Aug '07.  I can't honestly say I was comfortable with any of my treatment options, but Cyberknife was the one with which I was the least uncomfortable and seemed to offer the greatest chance of hearing preservation.  My tumor has had a "good response" to the radiation, but this included a lot of swelling.  I've had some pretty intense headaches, tinnitus, and minor balance problems as a result, but my symptoms are improving now.  My hearing has gone from 55% to 35%, but seems to be stable for the last couple of months.

I think you're doing the right thing as far as doing your research and getting more opinions.  Not sure if you've run across this in other posts, but many of the big treatment centers will review your films for free and offer opinions on treatment.  I know Univ. of Pittsburg (GammaKnife center), Stanford (CyberKnife center), and House Ear Clinic (surgery) all do this and I'm sure many others do as well.  They will likely be biased toward their own specialty, but it helps to see the tradeoffs with different treatments and in weighing your options.

I wish you and your husband the best with this thing and let me know if I can help.
JB
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:02:04 pm »
Well, I didn't have much choice, so that made it easy for me!  My AN was just over 3 cm, so just past the normal cut-off for radiation.  It was also stuck to my brainstem.  Radiation or watch and wait were just not options for me.

I am deaf on the right now, which was a hard thing to adjust to.  I had perfect hearing as they brought me into the OR that day - and nothing at all when I came out.  I think if I had lost some hearing gradually, it might have been an easier adjustment, but I'm getting there.  And I didn't have the balance problems that many people have because the vestibular nerve was only functioning at about 47% before the surgery, so since the other side was already compensating, that adjustment wasn't so bad.  I still have my drunken sailor moments on occasion, but not so bad!

Depending on what surgery is done will probably make a difference if hearing aids are an option.  I had translab, so basically, there's nothing left in there.  The only purpose that ear serves now is to hold up my sunglasses.  But other approaches leave the hearing apparatus in tact so that it could possibly be preserved.  I did recently get a BAHA hearing aid (they have a good website and there are a lot of posts on this forum about that too).  It's been great so far and the technology is amazing.  Who thinks of these things?

I guess overall, what I'd say is that an AN isn't a death sentence.  It does make you change the way you do some things or can make some things a bit more challenging.  Occasionally, the problems that seem to arise after the AN surgery can be the biggest problem of all!  Boy, that brain surgery was easy, but this dry eye will make you nuts!!  Everyone has different things to deal with, but I think we're all finding ways to fix everything, and everyone here is kind enough to share what's worked or not worked for them, so someone else might benefit.

You are absolutely right about it being a learning experience.  You will unfortunately learn everything you never wanted to know about MRI's, ABR's, ENG's...    I am a nurse and I know I've learned more than I ever planned to about this stuff!  On the bright side, I've also learned some important personal lessons about patience and not taking things for granted.

Keep doing your homework.  Eventually something will click on like a lightbulb and you'll know you found the answer you need.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:25:58 pm »
JCM's wife

My pligjht sounds identical to your husband. Similar age at time of first discovery and similar issues.

I had middle fossa surgery to try and preserve my hearing which was about half way. Well, apart from now having SSD, my tumor has grown back. i changed nero's and my new one says that its best to wait and watch if its not causing any further issues (pressing on the brain stem). if it goes into a growth spurt then do something. have regular annual (minimum) MRI's to watch growth.

i will be attacking mine with radiation if it grows more.

As for hearing, try BAHA or Transear devices, they work differently to tradiotional hearing aids. they work off bone conductivity. Search this site for numerouis articles on those devices.

Good luck in your decision but ensure you properly research the options and the impacts of your final decision.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
Mrs. JCM -

When my AN was diagnosed, it was 1.5 cm and it was on the 7th and 8th cranial nerves.  I had no symptoms other than diminished hearing in my left ear; I was 45.  My neurotologist told me that my best options were surgery or radiation.  While watch and wait was an option, he really didn't think it was a good one for my size AN.  He said that I didn't have to make a treatment decision immediately, but he didn't think it was a good idea to wait too long either.

Long story short, I opted for surgery and when it was performed approximately one month after my diagnosis, my AN had almost doubled in size; neither my neurotologist nor my neurosurgeon knows why.  Although this is unusual (most ANs are slow growing), I'm proof that it does happen.

I'm not trying to scare you, or tell you that surgery is your husband's best option - just because this choice was right for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.  Other patients have chosen GK, CK, or are watching and waiting and are just as happy with their treatment choice as I am with mine.  The best thing to do is research the treatment options your husband is being offered and at some point it will become clear in his mind which choice is best for him.  If you haven't already, I encourage you to contact the ANA and get some of their brochures; they are very informative and spell things out in very basic language - not in medical terminology.

Good luck - and stayed tuned to this forum - there's a lot of valuable information, love, and support here.

Best wishes,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hendi51

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 08:53:12 pm »
JCM, I  posted earlier about my husbands AN and all the symptoms he has. His hearing loss is what  bothers him the most. At 82% loss he has no usable hearing. He can't hear nothing in that ear even though he can hear 18% in the test. I don't really understand it but I do know he can't hear. He has learned to read lips. He learrned on his own. Of course, he has to be able to see your lips but at least he can understand what is being said. I wish your hubby the best of luck in making his decision and whatever treatment is decided on.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 04:31:34 pm »
Hi, JCM's wife:

As previous posts demonstrate, there are many different experiences (and options available) regarding the treatment of an acoustic neuroma tumor.  Fortunately, at 1 to 1.5 centimeters, your husband's AN is relatively small, giving him options that some AN patients don't have.  Watch-and-Wait is not an unreasonable course with such a small tumor but it does generate anxiety and frequent MRI scans, which can be bothersome and expensive, depending on your husband's tolerance for being confined in small spaces and the extent of your medical insurance.   

I cannot offer any credible medically-specific advice, however, it is my non-physicians opinion that surgical removal of the AN is probably not absolutely necessary but remains worth considering, even though it involves more risks and a hospital stay.  Radiation would seem the obvious choice but it is not risk-free and, like surgery, there are never any guarantees of complete success.  Due to my tumor's size (4.5 cm) and on my neurosurgeons recommendation, I opted for surgery to de-bulk the AN, then radiation to kill it's DNA so it could not regenerate.  As my signature states: so far, so good. 

I think you already realize that with knowledge, comes the ability to make an informed decision on how you want to address this medical challenge. I suspect that radiation will be the choice, based on the AN's size, but that is simply speculation.  Some doctors shy away from radiation on a younger person because they usually receive close to the maximum amount that is considered safe, which makes future exposure to any kind of sustained radiation problematic.  The fear of radiation some doctors once had - that radiating the tumor will cause it turn malignant - has been pretty well proven to be unfounded and is fading into irrelevance and should not be a factor in your decision.

Unfortunately, hearing loss - to some degree - seems to be almost a given with most acoustic neuroma tumors.  Whether by nerve damage or surgery, few AN patients come out of the 'AN experience' with their hearing intact.  I lost all hearing in my AN-affected ear because the nerve was severely 'compromised' (my doctor's word) by the tumor.  A traditional hearing aid would have no real benefit for me because the 'mechanics' of the affected ear are fine but the nerve that transmits the sound to the brain is shot, making it impossible to hear in that ear.  Bone-conductive hearing aids, specially made for this type of hearing loss, are available but they are expensive, often not covered by medical plans and somewhat bulky.  I have opted to deal with my hearing loss and depend on my good ear and the use of various little strategies to cope with the problem.  Frankly, I do 'miss' things that are said and I often have to ask to have something repeated, especially if the speaker talks softly and/or there is a lot of ambient noise.  Still, few people even know that I'm deaf in one ear and I forget myself, sometimes.  You would be surprised how one adjusts to something, once it becomes necessary.  However, the special hearing aids I mentioned do exist so one is not forced to 'make do' if that is not an attractive option.

I would urge you and your husband to try and stay optimistic and realize that this is a benign tumor (non-cancerous) and it is treatable, whether by radiation, surgery or both.   Do the research - this website is a treasure-trove of information - and remain as calm as possible under the circumstances, knowing that thousands of people are diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma tumor every year and the vast majority recover and do just fine.  I did.  :)

Please stay connected to this forum and feel free to ask questions, vent or whatever you need to do.  You and your husband are not alone.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 04:54:57 pm »
Hello there:  I have not posted on this subject until now.  I'm one of the few who had facial paralysis complications due to surgery & I feel I should let you know
what I have gone thru.   Obviously there are many who've had surgery with good to great results.  I, unfortunately, am not one of them.

My tumor actually measured 2.2cm x 1.5cm   I had retrosigmoid by a highly qualified surgeon at Univ. of Miami.
When they attached the nerve monitor to my facial nerve, there was no response - before they started operating on the tumor. 
The nerve never showed response throughout the surgery.The tumor lifted 'easily' off the nerves.
I was left with total facial paralysis, right side, & all the complications (eye problems, dry mouth, right sinus collapse, etc.) along with it.
It has changed my life;  I wouldn't wish what I've gone thru on anyone.   I was able to have surgery recently to help 'fix' the droop in my face,
but I continue to have eye issues;  & my very 'active' life has changed dramatically.   It's all I can do to get thru a mentally draining work week.

If I could turn back time?  I would go for CK,  obviously.

Please take your time in making your decision.   I just thought you should know things can & do go wrong.

ps:  I have posted pictures of before/after my recent surgery to correct the paralysis under Facial Issues:   Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer  -  just an FYI

I wish you all the best,   Nancy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:07:55 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jcm

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:10:54 pm »
Jim,

Thank you for your very detailed response.  We really appreciate all the advice, knowledge
and encouragement that you and all the AN families here have provided.  It is so helpful
and comforting to share experiences and concerns here.

It is crazy how small the AN is that it could cause such damage so fast.  My husbands
hearing went from 88% on Dec. 11 to 8% this week.  

My concern is; if he found out about this AN a few months ago and decided to watch and wait,
lost his hearing on one side while waiting, what else could happen now that he knows what
it is, the size and is still waiting? I just hope more irreversible damage is not done.

I am not in his shoes and cannot make this decision for him.  However, I will continue to read
posts and become very well educated and hopefully try to help him make the right decision.

Thanks for being here.

JCM's wife

jcm

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I am so sorry for your awful experience.  As I read your post, it just kept getting worse. 
It isn't enough that you have to make this horrible decision on how to treat the AN, then
ake the plunge and come out worse than you were before.

You are one of the first posts that I read with such awful complications.  Surgery is not the
option my husband wants to take. I am pro surgery to end the living nightmare of knowing
this thing inside you is gone.  Not to mention, what other damage can it cause if radiosurgery
does not work then to only have to go the surgery route possibly adding complications. 

He is not rushing into anything for the time being.  I hope and pray we can gather enough
facts and make the right decision before too much time goes by. 

My husband went from hearing 88% on 12/11 to 8% today.   Not to mention, he has balance
problems and lots of ringing and garbage in his AN ear.

Thank you for sharing your experience and he will take his time. 
Our prayers and thoughts are with you. 

All the best,
V (JCM's wife)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 05:52:15 pm »
Hi V:  funny thing is,  I was thinking of going with radiation;  but a good friend who also happens to be a neurologist, was pushing toward surgery: " radiation leaves the tumor 'sticky' on the nerve,  if it begins to grow again, it'll be harder to operate on.  Now it's 'nice & plump', easy to lift off the nerve."   Let me tell you, I'm 51y.o., he's 57 y.o.(geuss you'd call us old school?);  you CAN have radiation a 2nd time.   I was, at the time, pretty nonchalant about the whole thing (as I've been with my whole life), have had surgeries before ( for other problems ) - that's pretty much how I  was,  'oh well, another bump in the road', wondering how to fit in another 'active vacation'  - before or after surgery?!
I didn't have a computer at the time to check this site out (what a fossil! - got a computer post surgery with the help of my nephew). 
So, surgery it was.   For me a mistake, for others a blessing.

My only symptoms pre op were decreased hearing, constant tinnitus, & 'twitching' by my right eye now & then, which I thought was due to fatigue.

Again, I wish you both the best, especially  being a 'displaced New Yorker'.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:06:47 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:43:32 am »
Surgery is not the option my husband wants to take. I am pro surgery to end the living nightmare of knowing this thing inside you is gone.  Not to mention, what other damage can it cause if radiosurgery does not work then to only have to go the surgery route possibly adding complications. 
My husband went from hearing 88% on 12/11 to 8% today.   Not to mention, he has balance problems and lots of ringing and garbage in his AN ear.

I have to say, I don't share that sense of a "a living nightmare" knowing that my ex-AN is on its way to being a dried up ball of dead tissue. It's not the presence of a blob that is a problem, it is the invasion of nerve tissue and the hijacking of blood supply, and radiation stops that. For trans-lab surgeries, they typically put a piece of belly fat in the hole where the tumor was, to help seal up the gap - still a blob in my book. And regrowth is just as likely after surgery as it is after radiation, but fortunately the rate is low in both cases.

At 11%, the chance of retaining hearing in that ear is pretty small, although there was a recent post about a CK patient regaining some hearing 14 months after radiation. The very low hearing makes trans-lab surgery a good choice. It guarantees no hearing on that side, but it has a low incidence of facial nerve issues. Radiation is still a good choice as well, although it is not as effective at addressing the balance issues. Surgery will knock out the balance nerve on the affected side, eliminating the bogus information it is sending; radiation does not have much effect on the balance nerve.

So there you are. Radiation is easier on the head, and effective at knocking out the tumor and stopping its march along the nerves. Trans-lab surgery will take out the hearing for good, clear up the balance issue after a few months, and remove the blob itself. Take your pick.

It isn't easy, but as you and jcm gather information, perhaps consult with other doctors, or visit the cyberknife support web site, you will reach a point where one of the choices starts to "make itself at home" in your minds, and becomes the one you know you will do. Then you just make the phone calls, set it up, and do it. You'll get there soon enough.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
Hi again, JCM's wife:

Steve raises a salient point: it isn't the size of the AN tumor, it's the location.  Sort of like the old cliche about assessing the value of real estate: 'location, location, location'.  My surgeon said that were the tumor in a different place, where it didn't compromise vital nerves, they would ignore it as it's small and, thankfully, benign. Surgery carries manifold risks, as you would expect, and some patients, like Nancy, do not have positive surgical outcomes.  I believe that this unfortunate situation is often due to the exact placement of the tumor as well as the skill and experience of the surgeon(s) and surgical team involved.  This is extremely delicate surgery and I believe it takes hundreds of such operations for a neurosurgeon (and his or her team) to become proficient enough to successfully deal with any and all possible problems he or she may encounter when the tumor is finally exposed.  However, even the best surgeon cannot always foresee nerve damage that sometimes results from attempting to remove every last bit of the often-sticky tumor material from the vital nerves where it resides. 

This is why my neurosurgeon, a doctor with over 30 years experience in removing AN tumors,, opted for 'de-bulking' the tumor, cutting off it's blood supply and making it small enough to radiate.  We followed that surgery, which ended my symptoms, by 26 FSR treatments that seem to have been successful.  The AN is shrinking and recent MRI scans show definite signs of necrosis (cell death).  However, my AN was much larger than your husband's.  I recommended my surgeon to another poster who lived in my state (Connecticut) and had a small AN.  The doctor evaluated him and recommended radiation.  That AN patient recently let me know that he had the radiation and is doing fine.  With the small size of your husband's AN, I suspect most doctors will recommend radiation, be it Gamma Knife, Cyber Knife or FSR.  As I've cautioned and any reputable doctor will verify, even with non-invasive radiation, facial nerves can be damaged and complications can ensue.  However, most AN patients who undergo radiation treatment to kill their AN do just fine, as members of this forum can attest.   Yes, an AN tumor can grow back and this occasionally happens.  The tumor can be radiated again, in most cases.  However,when this happens most patients become somewhat paranoid of another re-growth and opt for surgery.  Yet, even surgery does not always remove every cell of the AN tumor and there are cases where re-growth has occurred some time after the surgery that was supposed to 'get it all'.  This is why I went for the surgery + radiation approach.  My doctor explained that the surgery would reduce the size of the AN (he described it as 'huge', and was alarmed when he saw the original MRI scan) and the FSR would kill the remaining tumor cells.  It's a double-barreled approach that has proven successful. 

Frankly, waiting can be risky, in some cases.  AN tumors do tend to grow very slowly.  My doctor estimated that mine was 'probably' growing for at least a decade.  Yet there are cases - documented on this forum - where the tumor showed an almost exponential growth 'spurt'. Obviously, the bigger it gets, the worse your husband's symptoms will get and the harder it will be to either remove it surgically or kill it with radiation.  While there is no need for panic, I would be careful about playing the waiting game.  In most cases (not all) lost hearing does not suddenly return when the tumor is removed or radiated.  It might improve, but some permanent loss is almost inevitable.  This is a hard fact of acoustic neuroma tumors.  I did fine on most counts but lost all hearing in one ear.  Few AN patients escape the experience with a 100% recovery.  I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones.  My balance is good (about 90% of normal), I have no facial paralysis, no eye problems and you would never know I had a very large AN tumor inside my skull a few years ago.  I credit God, prayer, a strong physical constitution, great support from my spouse and a splendid neurosurgeon and team of assistants along with a very skilled radiation oncologist that all combined to bring this aging fellow through a difficult ordeal that could have been a lot worse.  It's behind me now and I just want you and your husband to know that while having an acoustic neuroma tumor can be what amounts to a minefield, it can be conquered and life return to normal.  I trust this will be the case with your husband. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.